As I was going to my favorite coffee spot…Monon Coffee..in the b rip I walked across the many streams along the Monon trail.
I got to the coffee shop and mentioned how nice the streams were. The response I got was, “Streams? Those are rivers.”
Well once again, I have stumbled across another interesting cultural phenomena in Indianapolis.
In my mind, if I can walk or wade across a flowing body of water….that is a stream or a creek.
So, I then asked what about the canal right in broad ripple…is that a river. It is deeper than the rivers that I walked over and in some places not as wide.
“No, that is a canal since it is manmade”
So, I conceded that by that definition it is a canal. But, cmon, those two “rivers”…hell I pee more than what is flowing down those streams :).
On another note: I am taking a few of the fellow mojo guy crew through a tour of the Midwest cities. We are going to Chi town on Friday and St. Louis on Saturday. Chi town is a party all the time and we are meeting some of my past professional gymnast girls from Bulgaria. St. Louis is a Solique Model invitationonly party.
So, get ready for some pics Indy…..it should be interesting bringing these guys to my old villes.
So I havent blogged in a while because I was in Paris. I have managed to post only three pics given the indymojo storage restrictions :). However, you can go to my facebook page to see more.
Anyway, let me continue my observations of Indianapolis culture and environment. In today’s installment we are going to talk about Indianapolis’ fascination with strip malls and the creation of drainage ditch ponds next to them.
Let me pose to you the following observations:
1. How is it that most night clubs or bars are located in strip malls or mall parking lots? (outside of broad ripple).
– For example, Champs – Wow…. who would have thought that a bar and grill located in a mall parking lot next to a mosquito infested drainage pond would be so popular. Ok , I dont know but I have fun there because there is a lot to see and observe like …..cougarellas with lots of plastic surgery (see my blog 1).
– I am willing to bet money that Indianapolis has more strip malls than most cities in the country. Hell, I went to a club called blu something on the northside and it was next to Linens and Things or something like that? Where else can you go to a place and get a nice buzz and then go next door to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick up a deep vat fryer to cook something to meet your buzz cravings?
– Scotty’s is another fun example. You have a strip mall, parking lot …but a great fire pit with wonderful vista views of the parking lot.
– Here is the scenario I picture: The family goes to Chez Target’ and oh look its T Biscuit coming out of a bar yelling Mojo Rules….the kids say to Mommy ….”Mommy what’s indy mojo”…next thing you know they are on the internet looking up Daddy’s good times with other women out at Indy Mojo hangouts ….then Mommy leaves Daddy and oh my gosh Indy Mojo has just wrecked a home. Do you see what I am saying :)!
Let me emphasize that I have been having fun at these places and I am in no way complaining about that…but these are just observations. Ok, maybe I am crazy.
So, the odyssey continues. I have the fortune of living in Broad Ripple and meeting very interesting, unique people. In my opinion, Broad Ripple is probably the coolest place to live in Indy. I have explored downtown a little, but from what I have seen it doesnt even hold a candle to the BRip…my made up nickname…unfortunately it connotes flatulence so it will probably not be picked up in normal Indy slang.
Why do I love Broad Ripple being from another city?
1. Proximity…..Where else can you reach fun, shopping, fun, drycleaners, fun, and meet interesting people any day of the week in Indy….and be there in five minutes?
2. Monon Trail….very cool….but I must admit that I am disturbed by how popular tight biker pants are here with men….dude I dont want to see that. Now on women feel free to indulge.
3. Water….Indy seems to have a shortage of water and the coolest thing (outside a man made reservoir and a bacteria infested toilet water in Geist)…is the canal. It is very relaxing and enjoyable. I just have to say one thing….who are these people fishing in it. C’mon it looks nice but there is no way that the fish in that are good to eat.
4. Cornflakes….ok I love those wonderful B.O. ridden people with long hair talking philosophy trying to save the world smoking a doobie……and drive BMWs that they got from their Daddies…..other people call them granolas or treehuggers….really I call them 21st century Yuppies…its cool to be antiestablishment. I like them because they make life just a little more interesting in conversation.
5. Darts…..Broad Ripple and Indy in general seems to have a fascination with darts. Lets go through the list: Brewpub, Tavern, Wellingtons, etc etc etc.
6. Trashy Spring Breakisque Bars….Landsharks ….need I say more :).
7. Music……I am constantly surprised by how many good bands you have here. It must be the high concentration of corn flakes.
8. More to come.
Right now I am wrapping up this entry about ready to leave for Europe…..and I have been given an assignment…. to put Indymojo.com on as many French or european landmarks and other areas of interest (such as Eurotrash girls). So wish me luck and look for that next post.
PS: I am posting some video from my visits to St. Louis soon.
So I moved to Indy about four weeks ago ….but I have lived here on and off for the last eight months. During the last eight months, I was working as a consultant so I really don’t count that as my Indy experience. I would basically work and leave on a plane as soon as I got a chance to get back to Saint Louis. Plus a 70 hour work week isn’t conducive to social life.
Anyway, over the past four weeks this is what I have discovered to date:
1. Indy is the land of the “cougarella”…ohh beware.
2. Monon Coffee is great in Broad Ripple, but beware the meter guy who lurks (literally lurks) waiting for people to pull up and walk in to the coffee shop without putting money in the meter for a damn two minute visit to get a flippin morning coffee.
3. Plastic surgery really has taken off well here…just visit LuLus, Bellavita, or Sullivans.
4. There is some great music here…Rev Peyton for example but the washboard chick freaks me out.
5. Monon trail is cool but when you stop to take in the awesome beauty of the rivers….mosquitoes will suck you dry and calamine lotion becomes your best friend for a week.
More adventures to come so stayed tune…..